Recipes That Score!
BBQ Coca-Cola Chicken Skewers
This recipe is bound to score a Touchdown!
recipe by Chef Jennifer Hill Booker
The secret weapon in this BBQ Coca-Cola Chicken Skewers recipe is the Coke Classic. It helps tenderize the chicken and adds a subtle hint of sweetness
Special equipment: 24 wooden skewers
2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken thighs or breasts
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 large cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
1/2 cup Coca-Cola
2 cups barbecue sauce
6 scallions, white and green parts, chopped for garnish
1. Soak wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes.
2. Preheat grill to 400°F. (These can also be cooked in a grill pan over medium-high heat).
3. Trim chicken of excess fat and cut into 1-inch cubes. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, combine the salt, pepper, garlic, jalapeño, both paprikas, oil and Coca-Cola. Mix with a rubber spatula until the ingredients are blended.
5. Add the cubed chicken and mix until well coated with the spice mixture.
6. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
7. Thread the chicken onto the soaked skewers.
8. Place the chicken on the hot grill and cook until browned and slightly charred, about 5 minutes on each side.
9. Brush the top of chicken with barbecue sauce, turn and cook until sauce has browned, about 1-2 minutes. Turn and brush the second side with sauce, cooking an additional 1-2 minutes or until chicken has browned.
10. Remove the chicken skewers from grill and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
11. Garnish with chopped scallions and serve with remaining barbecue sauce on the side. ~Enjoy!